Our Top Picks
“It’s nice to cut out lugging bags of laundry up and down the stairs.”
“This machine is very very quiet.”
“… it does a great job of cleaning clothes with the least amount of water and noise…”
“I was looking for a small, lightweight washer. I was able to carry the unit down in my basement on my own.”
“Love it!! It’s perfect for small places like apartments and RVs. It’s very quiet and fast.”
“So much better than I thought it would be.”
“I can’t believe I have had this gem for almost a year and a half now. Still no problems. I use about 4 times a week.”
Portable washing machines are devices that save human labor and occupy less foot space. They are available in various models, have different features, and with different configurations.
We reviewed the best portable washing machines for you and we hope the buying guide helps you to decide the best choice for you.
Gizmos portable washing machine is easily customizable and has many modes meant for different types/fabrics of clothes. It adopts twin tub technology for washing and drying clothes. Verified users vouch for its ‘good quality drying ability’. It has a wash capacity of 7.9lbs and a dryer capacity of 4.4lbs.
- Easy to customize depending on the fabric of the cloth.
- It is light in weight weighing just 24.2lbs.
- It includes a free ‘lint filter’ that helps to collect the debris/lint from the clothes.
- The instructions in the user manual are not clear.
- The hose pipes are short.
- Spinner requires several adjustments.
- Manual operations of moving the clothes from the wash drum to the spin drum is a cumbersome task.
Well, if you don’t like twin tub technology, here’s yet another portable washing machine on our list that won’t disappoint you. It has the capacity to clean clothes weighing 11lbs.
As depicted in the above image, the Comfee portable washing machine occupies less space and can easily fit in your bathroom. Due to the steel tub, the item is more durable.
- The annual energy consumption is just 63 kilowatts per hour resulting in an energy saving of 84%.
- It has a child lock system that locks the buttons so that no un-intended operation takes place.
- It is less noisy and generates a noise of less than 62dB.
- The wheels make it easily portable.
- The re-loading feature helps to add clothes in the middle of the washing cycle.
- It looks attractive due to the see-through lid and LED.
- It has a facility to use hot as well as cold water for washing.
- It has a ‘delay start’ function for better results.
- The powerful dryer runs at a speed of 700RPM and quickly dries the clothes.
- Some customers find the hose pipe is small in length.
- Fewer options to customize the wash cycle compared to other machines in a similar category.
- The instruction manual isn’t in the English language.
If you are living in an apartment and the noise levels, the usage of water is a headache for you then you need to have a look at Panda portable washing machine.
‘Pandas’ are big in size but the machine is very compact and cute like the Pandas. It has a capacity of 10lbs and weighs just 51lbs with wheels at the bottom that make it easy to port. The steel tub makes it durable.
- It supports 10 different wash programs and has 5 different water levels to adjust.
- The programs can be customized according to the need.
- It does not need a gravity drain, meaning thereby that you can drain it in your washbasin.
- Child lock prevents accidental opening of lid and operations.
- The hosepipe is small in size according to some users.
- Some users find the ‘yellow lid color’ unattractive.
We know you must have come across the portable washing machines that suddenly stop in the middle of the washing cycle due to an imbalance of clothes, isn’t it?
Well, Giantex machines cater to this problem effectively and automatically adjust the imbalance. They have the capacity to wash clothes weighing 9.92lbs in one go!
- It offers 10 different customizable programs with 8 different water levels.
- For better protection, it offers a child lock facility and the unit stops if the lid is opened in between the operations.
- Drain hose uses a reversible technique and can be fitted as per the convenience.
- It has only one water inlet, you need to warm water separately if you wish.
- The water inlet hose is designed for the threaded pipe that means if you wish to connect it to your kitchen tap then some more attachments will be needed.
This machine is perfect for you if storage is the main concern for you. In one washing cycle, it can wash clothes having 5.5lbs Even when not in use, it can be comfortably stored in the cupboard after drying it.
It has got two separate compartments for washing and drying and transparency makes it possible to view clothes while being washed.
- Washer and spinner can be run simultaneously.
- Quite compact and stylish model.
- Durable and non-stinky plastic.
- Easy to store when not in use.
- It does not have a separate attachment to collect lint.
- Warm water cannot be used for washing clothes.
Black Decker portable washing machine is perfectly suitable if you have a different range of clothes to wash like woolens, cotton fabric, delicate clothes, jeans, etc.
It has eight different programming cycles and can carry a weight of 6.6lbs. Many users are quite satisfied with its cleaning performance.
- It does not require you to change the lint collector periodically.
- The long cord makes it comfortable to place it anywhere you wish.
- Supports washing a wide variety of clothes with different washing and programming cycles.
- It has an automatic unbalance detection mechanism.
- Some of the people have issues in assembling the drainpipe correctly.
RCA machine is probably the most simplistic yet durable machine on our list. It has a capacity of 0.9 cubic feet with five different programming cycles. The steel drum makes it durable in nature.
- Steel tub and powerful motor that spins at 800RPM.
- Suitable for washing different types of fabrics.
- Can be moved easily due to the rollers.
- It includes the sink adapter.
- It is a bit noisy compared to the other machines although it makes a noise of less than 72dB.
Well, after having reviewed seven different machines you might not be sure about which one to choose.
Various factors like the material used for drums, ability to add warm water, connectivity to the drain and to the water inlet are the main concerns while buying a portable washing machine.
According to us, if you have a wide range of fabrics to wash then you should go for ‘Giantex Portable Washing Machine.’
The features that we like in Giantex the ability to delay start, different programming cycles, child lock and an ability to balance the clothes inside the drum.
Well, after watching a range of top-loading portable washing machines here is a quick guide that will help you to choose among the different models available and also make you aware of the other aspects to consider before buying.
Classification based on loading:
Front-loading portable washing machines: Front loading machines are more expensive compared to the top-loading machines but they save on water and power bills. This is because they do not have the central agitator required for mixing clothes.
Also, they perform at a much higher speed compared to the top-loading portable washing machines. Their speed is approximately 2000 RPM whereas top-loading machines have a speed of 1140 RPM.
Top-loading portable washing machines: Such machines use a central agitator or pulsator at the bottom of the unit to do the laundry.
They are more traditional and consume more water compared to the front-loading machines. But maintenance wise, they are much cheap to operate.
Pedal-powered portable washing machines: Such machines do not require the use of power and the clothes can be washed simply by putting the clothes inside the machine and using the pedals by human effort to wash them.
Nowadays you can even get the same machine with the same features but connected to power. That considerably reduces human effort.
Hybrid portable washing machines: Such machines have separate drums for washing and drying. Of course! They occupy more space but they have their benefits too. Mostly they are suitable for large laundries.
Classification based on the type of washer used:
Connected to the tap: Some machines use a tube that can be directly connected to the tap for water requirements.
Manual: Some of the machines require the water to be added manually. This increases human effort.
Before we jump to the points that you should consider before purchasing a portable washing machine, let us discuss in detail the differences between top-load and front-load washing machines. Because that is of utmost importance.
Water usage: Front-loading machines use much less water compared to the top-loading machines. It is nearly half of what the top-loading machines need.
Spin-dryer: Front-loading machines operate at a great speed of around 2000 RPM whereas top-loading machines operate at a speed of 1140 RPM.
Operating cycle timings: Top-loading machines require less time compared to front-loading machines because of the technology used in them.
Care of the fabric: Top-loading machines use agitators or pulsators that are rough on fabric whereas front-loading machines use paddle technology to move clothes inside the drum. This effectively increases the useful life of clothes.
Noise levels: Top-loading machines are generally noisier compared to the front-loading machines.
Maintenance: Top-loading machines are easy to clean and require low maintenance. Front-loading machines require regular care compared with them.
Water-leakage: Top-loading machines are less prone to water leakages due to the technology used in them. Whereas it can happen in the case of front-loading machines. But they can be effectively controlled by proper mechanisms.
Ease of use: People with less height or children find front-loading machines easier to use as they need not climb on something for putting the clothes inside the machine drum.
But the total cost of ownership considering the usage of power and detergent in it is much lower compared to the top-loading machine.
Top-loading machines have more features like automatic dirt sensors, internal water heating, and many more compared to the front-loading machines.
So consider the usage of resources and the cost involved and decide accordingly.
Wash settings: Some machines have different wash programs based on the type of cloth to be washed like blankets, delicates, jeans, etc. They can be customized according to the need.
Spin-cycle: Spin-cycle determines how fast your clothes will dry after being washed. The more the RPM, the greater will be the drying efficiency.
Smart logic: Some machines are smart enough to understand the type of cloth inputted in the machine and run the cycle accordingly. This feature is essentially important if you don’t know much about the fabric used in clothes.
Pre-soak function: Some machines have a pre-soak function that allows you to soak the clothes for a specific interval of time, after which the machine automatically begins to operate.
Temperature control: Some of the machines have an inbuilt mechanism that can heat the water in the drum and thereby remove the dirt from the clothes more effectively. They are costly compared to the other machines.
We hope our review helps you in choosing the best portable washing machine for yourselves. If you have any concerns or suggestions, do share it with us. We will be happy to hear from you.
You might want to hear this:
Stephani R. said…
“Love it, had the giantex one loved it, just keep the filter cleaned every time you do a load and you will to.”