Our top picks
Portable air conditioners are great alternatives to cooling without accessing the regular ACs. Being portable in nature, you can carry them to any place of your choice, be it outdoor or indoor. This is a great way to beat the heat in ghastly summers when you don’t want to add the expense of buying an air conditioner. Portable air conditioners may not have all the features you find in an Aircon. But they will not disappoint you in bringing down the mercury.
Here is a list of some of the best portable air conditioners currently available in the market. Our experts have compiled the list after considering several parameters. We have also included a buyer’s guide to help you buy portable air conditioners even in the future.
So without much ado, let’s straight away get to the business.
The SereneLife portable air conditioners are compact and lightweight. Moreover, the sleek body design is handy enough to be used in the bedroom, living room, or garage. For your convenience, it even features rolling wheels so that you don’t have to drag it. The advanced features will surely meet your expectations.
- It comes with a digital remote control. Hence, you don’t have to get up from your job to do it.
- This kit allows you to plug in your portable air conditioner and keep your home cool, even in non-standard settings.
- This draws warm air out of the room, directs it through the snake-cooled coil, and then directs the hot air and moisture into the hose and out of the house.
- Take control of the air conditioner on your phone and widgets. It has a wifi function to control the temperature with the help of your phone.
- Some customers have complained about water leakage issues.
- It is not entirely energy efficient as the company claims.
Beat the heat to keep your room, home, bedroom, apartment, and office cool with the Airo Comfort portable air conditioner. This model is ideal for any standard size room. The design is aerodynamic to evenly distribute cool air in any room that you keep it.
- It offers comfort even on the harshest summer days.
- The unit comes with all accessories included, with a clear and easy-to-understand user manual. The pictures in the manual will help to install the whole unit.
- With the horizontal opening of the window and the automatic vertical construction of the swing, even distribution of air in the room is guaranteed.
- The company provides programmable control functions for a user-friendly experience.
- It adds a clear and elegant LED display to the front panel, and you have the option to turn off the LEDs during sleep.
- The noise level is annoying.
Take control of your comfort and keep your room cool with the Rollibot COOL 208-20. The modern cooling solution is compact, convenient, and easy to use. The manufacturer has updated the model from its successful predecessor. As a result, it offers solid features including enhanced cooling performance. Apart from the multiple control options, it includes Alexa support and complete app management.
- Alexa integration allows automated AC performances.
- The reusable air filter that traps dust, dirt, debris, and other particles and removes them periodically through the smart easy-clean features.
- You have everything you need for quick and easy installation in any room without the need for a professional.
- The unit box includes 360-degree wheels, a complete set of windows, and a drain hose.
- The display randomly does not perform at the top of its performance.
- The unit is overpriced.
This portable AC is excellent and great for use in bedrooms, home living rooms, offices, apartments, or other personal spaces. With a modern design and efficient cooling, this NINGPU Portable Air Conditioner will never disappoint you. The LED DISPLAY and simple select control panel feature mode selection button, wherein you can adjust the temperature, fan speed, and timer. The built-in dehumidifier removes up to 50 pints/24 hours with a continuous drain option for longer use.
- This unit has a three-in-one function – cooling, dehumidifier, and fan.
- The LED display features a mode selection button to regulate temperature and fan speed.
- The timer allows you to turn the unit on and off at desired times.
- It features automatic self-evaporation technology, wherein you get rid of placing empty buckets.
- The condenser pump is designed to make it highly energy-efficient.
- The cooling area is minimal and not as expected.
The blade-free design and air boosting technology make this portable air cooler provide smooth, comfortable, and fast airflow, fast cooling function. As already tested, such an evaporative air conditioner can lower the room temperature by about 15 ° C in summer. Furthermore, with a knife-free design, kids and pets no longer have to worry about household chores, ensuring 100% safety and very easy to clean.
- Perform as both a humidifier as well as an air conditioner, thereby saving you from the harsh and dry summer.
- Enjoy sound sleep with Normal, Natural, and Sleep mode of the AC with your preferred choice of low/medium/high speed.
- The bladeless design is completely child-safe.
- Control the AC without touching the panel by the remote control.
- The timer allows you to start and stop it as per your needs.
- This model is highly energy-efficient and operates at an undisturbed noise level.
- Customers have complained about poor quality parts.
- The function is also not as per the claims made by the company.
Buying any electrical appliance is not as easy as it looks. If you survey the market, you will be surprised(and also confused) at the number of options. The same goes for portable air conditioners as several manufacturers have hundreds of models altogether. The selection becomes more difficult when every model claims to be the best. That is why our experts have devised this buyer’s guide to help you find the best portable air conditioner.
Here are some key features you must consider to select the best portable air conditioner.
Room size plays an important role in determining the type of portable AC you need to buy. For this purpose, most portable air conditioners have BTU (British Thermal Unit) ratings. However, understanding exactly what it means can be a little tricky.
That is why a simple BTU chart is provided here for your reference to select the right model with appropriate BTU as per your room size. Remember that an air conditioner that’s too small won’t keep up with the cooling requirements of a large room. Similarly, AC with more than required BTU rating will leave your space muggy.
Here is a chart to help you to select the right model according to your room size.
Note that you should increase the size and power of your portable AC if:
- Lots of windows or heat-generating appliances are present in the room.
- You live in a warm and humid climate.
- If you are using the portable AC in a garage or workshop.
- Ceilings are high in your home.
Because portable air conditioners release hot air, you need to keep them close to a window. For this purpose, most portable air conditioners come with a window venting kit. Also, it includes detailed instructions on setting up the air conditioner. You have to put together all the parts and that’s it. You are good to go.
Note that if placing the AC near the window is not possible, you need to make arrangements. For that you may have to buy an extension hose or a vent kit to move it to a more convenient location.
For exhausting hot air and drawing in cool air, portable air conditioners can be single- or double-hosed. Some models have both exhausting and non-exhausting options. Here’s how both options compare:
- Single-Hose Portable Air Conditioners
A single-hose portable AC draws in air from the room, cools it, and then returns most air into the room.
- Dual-Hose Portable Air Conditioners
A dual-hose portable air conditioner draws in room air, cools it, and then returns it to you.
When a portable air conditioner cools the air inside, it also acts as a dehumidifier, removing moisture from the air. Different portable air conditioners deal with moisture buildup in different ways. Here are some ways for your understanding which might help you in selecting the right model.
- Fully Self-Evaporative Air Conditioners
These models can exhaust all condensate, and you never have to dump the water collected. These models are good for long unattended runs.
- Partially Self-Evaporative ACs
These ACs can evaporate a significant amount of moisture into their hot air exhaust. In doing so, there is little to no water left to empty. In a hot and humid environment, you might have to drain the water frequently.
- Gravity Drain/Drain Hose
A permanent water drain hose connection is available on all portable air conditioners. This allows collected water to drain to a nearby floor drain, eliminating the need to drain the water.
- Condensate Pumps
Condensate pumps collect water through a drain hose. These pumps can move water up and out of an area by pumping it up and out.
The most basic portable ACs have an inner container that holds excess water. The problem is you have to throw the water every now and then.
Noise is evident in portable ACs due to the motorized fans and compressor. This may be annoying for some. That is why modern portable air conditioners come with noise-canceling features. If you do not want disturbances, you may invest in these models.
For getting an idea about the noise level, you can use the decibel rating. Remember, lower ratings mean low-level noise.
- 0-30 dB – Very quiet
- 31-60 dB – Quiet
- 61-80 dB – Annoying
- 80+ dB – Damaging
Filters are an important consideration as the efficiency of even the best portable air conditioners depend upon the filtering capabilities. Consider whether you will be able to clean the filter once it is jammed with dirt or not. There is no point buying a model where you have to struggle to just blow away the dirt from the filters.
Getting a portable aircon from a well-known brand is always advisable for several reasons. First, they are known for their uncompromised quality. Second, renowned brands have a better warranty to back their product. Last but not the least, you get satisfactory customer service from these brands.
Portable air conditioners are usually energy-efficient. This means they can help you save money on your monthly electric bill. The Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) value can tell you about its efficiency. In general, the higher the EER, the more efficient the model is.
- Programmable Thermostat:
A programmable thermostat allows you to set the air conditioner to the exact temperature you want. This eliminates the need to turn it on and off. Further, it also allows you to program it to start cooling at specific times.
- Remote Control
Having a remote control allows you to turn it on and off without getting out of bed or off the couch. A convenience that everyone looks for these days.
- Heat/AC Combo
Having this feature saves you the trouble of buying a separate heating system in the winter. Because you can use this feature throughout the year, you can save your hard-earned bucks.
An air conditioner with a dehumidifier can assist in the removal of moisture from the air. This will prevent you from getting drenched in sweat if you live in a hot and humid area.
The bottom line
Portable air conditioners are the best choice when it comes to low-budget cooling. Due to their portability, it is easy to carry them whenever you need their service. Hence, you must invest in portable ACs if you want to get the cold and fresh air without switching on the energy-consuming central AC.
Nathan norris said…
“I am amazingly surprised at how well this a/c unit works. I use it in my garage and takes away alot of humidity in the air. Living in florida, you really need something like this. Great product. thank you.”