If you are someone who appreciates working smart and not hard, then you’ll want a Robot Vacuum Cleaner. Since their introduction in the 90’s, robot vacuum technology has come a long way and there are many options on the market. We’ve carefully researched and based on certain criteria such as price, longevity, ability to clean, special features, battery life and ease of use, we have narrowed your choices down to the top three. Use this guide to make shopping for your best robot vacuum a breeze!
About Robot Vacuum Cleaner
When you hear the word “robot” you may feel a bit intimidated. You may wonder if the technology is too advanced and difficult to understand. If that’s the case, you may feel a best robot vacuum too complicated and possibly way overpriced. We’re here to put your mind at ease.
The technology that goes into a robot vacuum might be complex but using one isn’t. These vacuums run on rechargeable batteries and have sensors that will detect when they have bumped into a wall or furniture. When this happen, they simple re-direct themselves. There are robot vacuums that can actually map out a room layout to avoid hitting objects and some models have the ability to detect dirt and will work harder in areas that need it. Basically, all you need to do is be sure the vacuum stays charged, tell it when to get to work and show it the occasional care by keeping it maintained. Pretty easy, right?
If price is a concern, no need to worry. Costs can vary widely but there is a price point to fit every budget. Finding a robot vacuum you can afford that will suit your needs shouldn’t be difficult at all. Especially if you use our guide to help you!
Compare: Best Robot Vacuums
*Ratings are based on a 5-star rating scale
Up to 90 minutes
60 – 75 minutes
Optional (purchase separately)
Can be scheduled to clean up to 7 times per week
Self-charging/will dock itself when battery runs low
Included Virtual Wall keeps the vacuum in a specific area
Dirt detection sensor to work harder in the areas that need it
Self-charging/will dock itself when battery runs low
4 different cleaning modes
Anti-scratch tempered glass cover
5-in-1 cleaning: sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and UV sterilisation
Advanced dirt sensors to work harder in areas that need it
“Waffle Mode” that works in a concentrated grid pattern
Buying Guide For Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner
While robot vacuums are an absolute genius invention, understand they aren’t 100% capable of replacing a traditional vacuum cleaner. You’ll still need to vacuum stairs the old-fashion way and upholstery will still need to be cleaned with a traditional vacuum but overall, a robot vacuum is an excellent investment for your home. They will do the daily cleaning for you and keep your floors in great shape in between weekly cleanings. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of owning one:
- Time saving: letting a robot vacuum work for you during the week will save a good deal of your time on those days when you do a whole house cleaning. You don’t even have to be home while your robot vacuum is working!
- Less manual labor: a robot vacuum means less physical labor on your part preventing a sore back and muscles.
- Mobility impaired persons: these are a great option for those who are not physically capable of using a traditional vacuum cleaner.
- Energy savings: because robot vacuums run on batteries, there is the potential for considerable savings on your home energy costs.
- Noise: robot vacuums typically make much less noise than traditional vacuums, making them kid and pet friendly.
- Attractive designs: many robot vacuums are sleek and attractive in their design giving them ability to fit into your home’s décor without being an eyesore.
- Vacuum bags: these become a thing of the past! No more dealing with expensive, dirty vacuum bags.
- Storage: due to their size, they are certainly easy to store if needed.
As you can see, the advantages are many and definitely make owning a robot vacuum worthwhile. Now that you’ve decided to purchase one, what about the features? How do you know what to look for? Let’s look further into the qualities that will make the robot vacuum experience even greater for you:
- Virtual walls: by having a virtual wall with your robot vacuum, you can set boundaries and control the rooms in which your vacuum travels.
- Dirt detection: with the dirt detection sensors that most of these vacuums are equipped with, they can detect areas that need special attention and will automatically work harder to clean those specific areas.
- Self-charging: most robot vacuums will dock themselves when the battery runs low meaning you don’t have to constantly keep an eye on them to make sure they are charged.
- Wi-fi capabilities: there are models that can connect to your home wi-fi which gives you the ability to control your vacuum with a tablet or smartphone.
- Low maintenance: robot vacuums require little maintenance making them easy to care for and less of a hassle than traditional vacuums.
- Floor surfaces: you’ll find that most of these vacuums easily adjust to various floor surfaces so transitioning from carpet to hardwood or even vinyl and tile isn’t a problem.
- Longevity: technology is so advanced with robot vacuums that you can count on most models lasting for years.
- Nooks and crannies: these vacuums are made to fit under tight spaces where traditional vacuums may not reach and most have the ability to clean closely against baseboards.
- Ease of use: they truly are easy to use as most work with the push of a button or can be controlled via a remote and set-up is quite simple taking only minutes of your time.
Keep in mind the more advanced features you desire, the more money you may need to spend but given the benefits of robot vacuums they tend to pay for themselves fairly quickly. Also, while shopping it will help to remember these things:
- Your floors: buy a robot vacuum best suited to the flooring in your home whether it be hardwood, carpet, tile, vinyl or a mix. Pay attention to the product specifications.
- Programming: look for simple, one-touch programming to make the process simple for you.
- Warranty: remember a robot vacuum is a home appliance and should be treated as one. Make sure your product has a warranty and understand what is and is not covered. For anything not covered, go a step further and find out how much you could end up spending out of pocket for uncovered parts or repairs.
- Avoid products that say “sweepers”: these are not the same as actual robot vacuums and will not do the quality of work as vacuums.
Top 3 Robot Vacuums Reviews
1.iRobot Roomba 650 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner:
iRobot is the most well-known brand of robot vacuums. While this is one of their more basic models, it is still a high-quality machine. It features a three-stage cleaning system that does the job by agitating, brushing and suctioning. It’s easy to start manually by a one-touch button system. Use the included virtual wall to keep the Roomba working in only the rooms you need cleaned.
The most convenient feature of this machine is the ability to schedule cleanings. It can be programmed to clean on its own up to 7 times a week. You don’t even need to be home and how great is that? More free time for you and your family! The design is low profile and at only 3.6 inches tall, it can easily fit under most furniture.
The Roomba 360 has what is called iAdapt Response Navigation. This keeps the vacuum on track by helping it to avoid clutter and stairs. This is a self-charging machine and will dock itself when the battery reaches 15%. You’ll need to be sure to place the docking station in a location the Roomba can easily get to. It has a run time of 60 – 90 minutes.
There are a couple of negatives with this specific model. It doesn’t do so well at picking up larger debris (think pine needles or large bits of paper). Also, it does tend to get stuck on rugs with fringe. Aside from those two issues, if you’re looking for a good, basic robot vacuum that works well on low-pile carpet, hardwood and laminate floors, this one is worth considering. It is on the pricey side but also one of Roomba’s best sellers.
2. Eufy RoboVac 11, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner :
Eufy has a reputation for making superior home quality enhancers from lighting to air purifiers to their automated vacuums. This machine is 3.1 inches high giving it a low enough profile to fit under most furniture and appliances. It should be noted that manufacturer recommends this product for low-pile carpets, laminate and/or hardwood flooring.
This vacuum works with a three-stage cleaning system and has a relatively large dust bin which can mean less emptying time. It has a continuous run time of up to 90 minutes. The machine does have a navigation system and will dock itself when the battery begins to run low. It also features four cleaning modes: auto, spot, small-room and edge cleaning so you have considerable control over the areas you wish to clean.
You’ll also find the vacuum has an anti-scratch protection tempered glass cover, uses a HEPA type filter to enhance air quality by trapping allergens, dust and mites. It has an attractive, sleek design that could easily blend into your home’s décor. Be aware that scheduled cleanings need to be activated daily and is not something that can be planned in advance.
There are two drawbacks worth mentioning. This robot vacuum tends to get stuck on cords and rugs with fringe. You’ll also need to keep an eye on the sensors if you have pets as they tend to get covered quickly with fur so but the sensors are easily cleaned. The Eufy Robovac 11 is affordably priced so if you’re searching for a robot vacuum with powerful suction that’s simple to setup and use, has an included remote control and drop sensing technology to keep it away from stairs, this is the one for you.
3. bObi Classic Robotic Vacuum Cleaner:
The bObi Classic boasts a 5-in-1 cleaning ability, is white in color, measures 3.4 inches high and comes with a Wi-fi enabled remote control plus a mop attachment. The brushes are multi-tiered giving them enhanced cleaning power. This machine has 80 touch sensors and infrared sensors designed to keep the machine on track.
This robot vacuum has a continuous run time of up to 75 minutes and will dock itself when the battery reaches 15%. The bObi has advanced dirt detection which tells the machine which areas need the most attention as well as a “WAFFLE” mode that uses a grid pattern to concentrate on small areas. It works by using one of the 3 touch-screen buttons. Touch the “GO” button and the machine will navigate its way through your home on its own.
With this model, you do have the ability to schedule cleanings. The dust bin is easy to clean and can be fully submerged in water. This is a quiet machine that works efficiently to vacuum dirt and pet hair but it should be noted the mopping feature leaves a lot to be desired and isn’t really worth the extra trouble you’ll go to wetting and attaching the cloth strip.
Additional downsides to this machine: it is somewhat aggressive and tends to push on furniture such as chairs and it will also get tangled on chords so be aware you’ll need to be sure your floor is as clutter-free as possible before use. The price on the robot vacuum can get pricey so keep that in mind. It is a reliable vacuum with good suction. Just keep in mind the mopping feature may not be worth the extra money.
After careful consideration, we feel that the Eufy RoboVac 11, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner is the best option. We like that it has the HEPA type filter and feel this is a valuable feature for maintaining a purer air quality in your home. We also appreciate that the machine has four separate cleaning modes and feel these will only serve to enhance your best robot vacuums experience. It is well-priced making it affordable for most households and overall, it provides the best performance.
As mentioned previously, robot vacuums are not going to always take the place of traditional vacuums. There will still be some work you need to do but in general, a robot vacuum will certainly make your life easier and free up your time. They are an excellent investment for your home and as long as you do your homework – using our guide is the best place to start! – you will surely find the perfect robot vacuum that will meet your needs.