Shredding is one of the best ways to destroy sensitive data, whether it be at home or in the office. You want a top-quality paper shredders that can handle your needs and this is how this guide will help you.
Using criteria such as cost, effectiveness, speed, capacity and capability, webve put together comprehensive reviews along with a buying guide and all the facts you need to know before you purchase a shredder.
About Paper Shredders
We encounter sensitive data on an almost daily basis and there usually comes a time when that data should be destroyed. Whether it be personal taxes you no longer need to retain or client information at work, its imperative the data be thoroughly destroyed to protect ourselves and others.
Paper shredders are an advantage both at home and at the office and are highly recommended by privacy experts. Lets take a look at some of those advantages:
- Protection from scams and identity theft.
- Shredded paper and other items can be recycled and kept out of landfills or will at least reduce the amount of waste inside them.
- In the office, shredding sensitive documents offers peace of mind to your customers and in some cases, keep employers compliant with specific legal regulations.
If recycling is a topic that interests you, try using shredded material as animal bedding or packing material. If you are crafty try your hand at making your own paper from shredded bits or create paper mache. For gardening, add biodegradable shredded paper to compost heaps or use it as mulch. Be creative! Shredding can sometimes be a somewhat boring task so it may help to know that at the end, you all have something you can recycle while maybe having a little fun.
*Please note that ratings are based on a 5-star rating scale.
|FEATURES||Bonsaii EverShred Pro 3S16||Amazon Basics Shredder||Fellowes Powershred 79Ci|
|TYPE||Cross cut||Cross cut||Cross cut|
|SHEET CAPACITY||12 (other options available)||24 sheets||16 sheets|
|PRICING||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
Best Paper Shredders Reviews
1.Bonsaii EverShred Pro 3S16:
This shredder is available in 12, 14 and 18 sheet capacities. Note that prices will vary accordingly. This is a relatively quiet shredder that can reach a speed of 7.2 feet per minute, however; it should be noted that the more sheets you shred at one time will cause the shredder to slow down a bit. You can see when the bin is full by viewing through the window.
Other features of this shredder include a run time of 60 continuous minutes with a 10-minute cool down period, cross cut shredding with particles that measure 4mm x 35mm and jam protection by way of auto-start and auto-reverse, although you may find that clearing jams can be a bit difficult. There is also thermal protection technology to prevent over-heating and an additional indicator to prevent over-loading.
The shredder has the ability to shred paper, credit cards, staples and paper clips as well as CDs and DVDs. There is a 4.2-gallon bin for paper and a smaller 0.37-gallon bin for collecting CDs, DVDs and credit cards. It also has 4 casters making it easy to relocate. It does not have an auto-shut off feature so be aware of that.
This item measures 23.9 x 17.3 x 13.7 inches. There is an easy to follow instruction manual included with the shredder. Overall, this is a good value for the money and would work well in a home or small office.
With the capability to shred up to 24 sheets of paper at a time, as well as credit cards, DVDs, CDs, this shredder is easy to operate and a good choice for a home or small office. Paper is shredded to 5.5 mm x 25.4 mm particles. Credit cards can be micro cut for added protection.
This shredder can run for a continuous 25-minutes and requires a 60-minute cool down period. Other features include an LED indicator to show standby, door open and overload modes plus auto-start and auto-reverse to avoid paper jams. It has casters for ease of portability and a 7-gallon pull out bin, which is a nice size compared to other shredders.
It doesnbt turn off automatically so be aware of that in case youbre looking for a more energy-efficient shredder. Also, be sure to read instructions carefully before use and know the shredder will not run unless the pullout bin is securely and properly in place.
If youbre searching for a basic and efficient shredder, this is a nice compromise between performance and cost. There arenbt many bells and whistles but it is relatively affordable and Amazon offers a one-year warranty for the product. Product dimensions are 26.2 x 16.3 x 11.9 inches.
3.Fellowes Powershred 79Ci:
Fellowes has been in the business of office equipment since 1917 so you can rest assure this is a high-quality product. It has what Fellowes calls SilentShred technology to make it a quiet shredder. It has a 16-sheet capacity that will shred paper to 3.9 mm x 25.4 mm particles.
This shredder has a continuous run time of 20-minutes and needs a 30-minute cool down period. It can shred paper, credit cards, DVDs, CDs, staples and small paper clips. It features a three-level jam protection system that practically guarantees a 100% jam-proof run.
One of the most important features is the SafeSense technology. This is an electronic sensor that will cause the machine to automatically shut off if hands touch the paper entry area. Other features include an energy-saving mode, casters for easy portability, and LED indicator that shows if a feed is too thick and a 6-gallon pullout bin.
This is the most expensive shredder in our guide but well-worth the investment for home or office. It is durable and well-built and has plenty of great features. The shredder also comes with oil for maintenance, an easy to read manual and plastic bags for the bin. Shredder dimensions are 21.31 x 15.38 x 10.44 inches.
Buying Guide For Best Paper Shredders:
Before purchasing a shredder, it is important to know the various types available. There are three basic shredders:
- Strip cut: as the name implies, this shredder cuts in strips and shouldnbt be used for highly sensitive information such as social security numbers or credit card information; shreds an 8 x 10-inch piece of paper to 40 b 50 strips; low level security.
- Cross cut: this will cut paper into small bits; shreds an 8 x 10-inch piece of paper to around 200 particles; medium level security.
- Micro cut: if youbre looking for a serious shredder that will turn your sensitive documents into confetti, go with this option; shreds an 8 x 10-inch piece of paper to around 2,000 particles; high level of security.
You may find a basic shredder isnbt enough to meet your needs. Fortunately, there are additional features you can look for:
- Speed: shredders work at different speeds so you may desire a machine that works quickly if you are a frequent user.
- Sheet capacity: be sure to purchase a shredder that can meet your needs regarding amount of paper that can be shredded at one time.
- Daily usage: determine your daily usage needs and purchase accordingly; a basic shredder will work well for home and infrequent use but consider a higher-speed shredder for a frequent use or an office.
- Warranty: shredders like any other small appliance and should have warranty protection; be sure you understand what your warranty will and will not cover.
- Energy saving and safety: these features may be important if you plan to use your shredder frequently and if you have small children and/or pets you wish to protect from injury.
- Noise: consider the noise level and determine how quietly you desire your shredder to operate.
- Run time/cool down: the continuous run time and required cool down period for shredders varies considerably so be sure you choose one that will keep up with your shredding needs.
Letbs talk security. It is likely you are buying a shredder as a way to protect yourself, your family and/or clients or employees from fraud, identity theft or other such crimes. If that is the case, youbll want to understand the shredder security levels:
- Level P-1: lowest level of protection; it does work the fastest since less cutting is involved; would work nicely if you wanted an in-home shredded for reducing waste caused by newspapers, magazines, non-sensitive junk mail, etc.
- Level P-2: creates slimmer strips than P-1; still not ideal for sensitive data; would also work well at reducing volume of waste.
- Level P-3: satisfactory for FACTA AND HIPAA regulations; more complicated to reassemble than P-1 and P-2; could be used for information that is not confidential such as consumer and non-classified information.
- Level P-4: the most popular shredder security level; increasingly difficult to piece together shredded documents; suitable for destruction of personal information.
- Level P-5: ideal if caution regarding personal identification is an issue; safe for destruction of paper containing social security numbers or credit card information; will work well for high volumes of shredding.
- Level P-6: high level of security; can be used to destroy sensitive personal documents.
- Level P-7: highest security; often used in government offices to destroy classified information; virtually impossible to reconstruct shredded documents.
Note: all the shredders listed in this product guide fall under at least a Level P-4 security level.
One last topic you should consider before purchasing a shredder and that is maintenance. Yes, shredders do require regular maintenance to prolong their lifespan but the good news is itbs a simple process:
- Regular cleaning: carefully inspect your shredder, paying special attention to blades and the gears, and remove any dust and debris; a can of pressurized air makes this task easy.
- Oiling: the blades of your shredder must be oiled to insure they continue cutting properly; use only commercial oil made specifically for shredders; check manufacturer guidelines for the correct oil.
- Cool down periods: follow these carefully to prevent overheating and damage to your shredder.
- Bin bags: it is important to use the correct size bag for your shredder to reduce the amount of dust that collects in the gears; consult the manual for the proper size bag.
- Objects: some shredders can handle only paper while others are able to handle objects such as staples and paperclips; it is important to follow the instructions of your shredder carefully and shred only what the machine can handle to avoid damaging the gears and blades while also avoiding possible injury.
All the buying information may seem overwhelming but the reality is it isnbt. Know your budgetary limits and make notes about your home or office needs before shopping. Use this guide to help you shop smart, not hard.
Ultimately, our choice for Best Paper Shredders is the Fellowes Powershred 79Ci. Yes, it is the priciest shredder on our list but it also offers the most features making it a good investment. We especially like the safety feature and feel this is something that should not be overlooked.
Itbs a powerhouse shredder that can handle some tough jobs. While it has more features than the other machines in our guide, it is still easy to use as well as easy to maintain. With Level P-4 security, you can feel safe shredding sensitive and personal documents.
No matter your choice, be sure to always read instruction manuals carefully and follow a regular maintenance routine. By doing so, you can be sure you’ll get the best performance and longest life from your shredder.
Docuvaultdv b http://docuvaultdv.com/document-shredding-2/
Office Equipment Typepadb http://office-equipment.typepad.com/paper-shredder-review/2012/03/advantages-of-using-paper-shredders.html
Wikihow b http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Paper-Shredder
Wikipedia b https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_shredder
Ezop b https://www.ezop.com/guides-demos/how-to-maintain-your-paper-shredder/
Whitakerbrothers b http://www.whitakerbrothers.com/blog/new-old-shred-security-levels/
Smallbusiness b http://smallbusiness.chron.com/shredder-maintenance-29680.html