Choosing a Best top loading washing machine isn’t easy. With so many brands and styles, the decision process can be overwhelming. Use this product guide to your advantage! We’ve carefully researched many makes and models to help you decide.
We’ve selected criteria such as size, laundry capacity, energy/water conservation, additional features and costs to bring you some outstanding options. We’ve also consulted with other consumers who, like you, want the best top loading washing machine.
About Most Reliable Top Load Washing Machine
If you’re here then you’ve already decided a Best Top Loading Washing Machine choice for your home. Great! Now it’s important to do a bit of comparison shopping and decide on the factors and features that are most important to you.
You’ll find that you have a choice: standard Best top loading washing machine and high efficiency (HE) top loading machines. Both will have pros and cons that must be weighed before making a purchase. This goes with any home appliance but to breakdown how each works, let’s take a quick look at the difference between the two:
- Standard these are the most popular washing machines in the United States and they work by using an agitator to move laundry around and remove soils.
- High efficiency a bit pricier than standard, these work not with an agitator but by a drum and wash plate that rotate and lift laundry.
Now that you have a general idea how differently each machine works, let’s take a look at some of the top machines available on the market. Please continue reading after the reviews for an in-depth buying guide that will help you in choosing the best top loading washing machine for your home.
Best Top Loading Washing Machine Reviews
Speed Queen Top Load Washer
This is a button control, electronic washing machine. List of features include:
- Automatic balance system
- Self-leveling legs
- Bleach and fabric softener dispensers
- Soak and pre-wash
- Extra rinse option
- 3 temperature settings
- End of cycle alarm
- Water level and soil level selection
While the more expensive option on the list, it’s certainly the most user-friendly and reliable. The agitator functions at 210 degrees and has 60 strokes per minute. To prevent dirt from staying in the machine, the tub spins vigorously during the process of draining.
The lid on this machine doesn’t lock which means you can open it at any time during the wash cycle but it will not fill until the lid is closed. For convenience, you can delay the start of a wash cycle up to 24 hours With this machine you also have the ability to set up to 9 different favorite settings.
Another bonus with this machine is an optional Eco-Save feature. This gives you control on the amount of water you wish to use. For best performance, the manufacturer does recommend the use of high efficiency detergent with the Eco-Save cycle but regular detergent is fine for all other cycles.
Overall, this Best Top Loading Washing Machine is an excellent investment. It’s a well-made machine that is built to last for years. You can count on it to get laundry quite clean and because of the vigorous spin, there is much less drying time involved. With the use of the Eco-Save option and less drying time, you can count on long-term savings on utility costs, as well.
Midea Top Loading Portable Washing Machine
If portability is a concern for you, this is a good choice. These machines are definite space-savers but not as energy efficient as traditional machines. They are less expensive though. Features of this machine:
- 6 cycle options
- Full size machine capacity
- No agitator (room for a larger load)
- Complete control over water levels and temperatures
- Child safety lock on lid
- Error alarm
- LED display
- See through lid
- Detergent dispenser
This machine does not have eco features but you can rely on it providing clean laundry in a timely manner. For ease of portability, there are rollers. Installation is relatively easy but it is recommended you read all instructions carefully before use. This product does come with hoses and faucet adapter but it should be noted you may need to purchase an additional adapter if the one included does not fit your faucet.
This is a quiet machine that is well-built and easy to use. A note about balance b it will make a noise if the clothes aren’t balanced but it’s simply to stop the machine and rearrange your laundry. One load takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Although it’s a portable machine that doesn’t mean it must be. It can be hooked up and left stationary in a laundry room, if desired. It is dependable and the controls are easy to use and understand. If what you seek is affordability, clean laundry and flexibility then this machine is worth a further look.
Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Top Loading Washing Machine
While many may not have heard of Fisher & Paykel, they’ve been in the business of appliances since the 1930s so experience they have. This is the largest of the machines listed in our guide. Additional features include:
- SmartDrive” sensory technology
- SmartTouch” controls
- 6 cycle options
- 5 temperature options
- 22 lb laundry capacity
- EcoActive” soil removing booster
- Auto balance correction
- Auto lint removal
- Delay start option
- Detergent and fabric softener dispensers
- Lid lock
- 3 rinse options
With this machine you can use regular detergent and not need a high efficient brand. You also have the option of controlling the water level or letting the machine do that for you. The larger size basket means you can easily wash bulkier items like blankets and bedspreads.
You’ll find with this machine that the spin works quite well and clothes come out almost dry. Less drying time is a money-saver. It’s a quiet machine and easy to use machine, too. Another great feature is a quick cycle for when you’re short on time and need to do a load fast.
This machine is an excellent option for anyone who is concerned with saving money both short and long-term. While it’s somewhat expensive, it will pay for itself in a relatively short time. It’s definitely well-made so you can count on it lasting for many years.
Best Top Loading Washing Machine Comparison Table
*Please note that ratings are based on a 5-star rating scale.
|FEATURES||Speed Queen Top Load Washer||Midea Top Loading Portable Washing Machine||Fisher & Paykel Top Loading Washing Machine|
|DIMENSIONS||28 B x B 26 B x B 43 B inches||24.1 x 23.7 x 39.4 inches||28 x 42 x 27 inches|
|PRICING||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
Buying Guide Best Top Loading Washing Machine
It’s common for budget to play an important factor when purchasing appliances for your home. We all want good quality appliances but also want prices we can afford. The great thing about Best Top Loading Washing Machine is that they are typically less expensive than front loaders. You still get the same function and clean laundry but at a better cost. Aside from price, what other information should you know about top loading washers?
As mentioned before, each style has both pros and cons. So, let’s take a closer look at those.
If you’re considering a standard top loader, then keep in mind:
- Speed – top loading washing machines usually run much faster than other machines. It isn’t uncommon to knock out a load in a half hour or less.
- Performance – technology has come a long way so newer models do work better than ever before.
- Agitators many top loading machines come with an agitator and this can mean more wear and tear on your clothes.
- Water you may find a standard machine can use more water per load than a high efficiency machine.
- Performance again with regard to performance, standard top loaders tend to spin slower leaving clothes wetter which means more drying time. Also, they may not clean as well as high efficiency machines.
What if you’d prefer an HE top loading washing machine? Well, there are bonuses with those, too:
- Efficiency H.E. machines use sensors to gauge water usage so less water is used during a wash cycle.
- Detergent less water means you’ll use less detergent and this equals a long-term cost saver.
- Electricity because H.E. machines use less energy than traditional top loaders, you’re also looking at cutting electricity costs.
- Load size because most high efficiency machines do not have an agitator, it’s easier to wash larger loads.
- Spin high efficiency machines tend to spin a bit faster than standard top loaders. This means laundry is wrung out better and that equals less time in the dryer b another long-term cost saver as far as utility bills are concerned.
- Time high efficiency washing machines can take twice as much time to wash a load of laundry.
- Performance these may spin faster cutting down on drying time but the faster spin can also mean more wrinkles.
- Cost you’ll find the high efficiency machines can cost considerably more than a standard top loader.
Now, let’s look a bit more into portable top loading washing machines. These are made for convenience. They’re purpose is to save space and ultimately save money as they are typically the less expensive of all models. Consider a portable model if:
- You live in an apartment or home with no permanent washer/dryer hookup
- You don’t want to spend money for coin-operated machines
- You would rather not share a washing machine with people you don’t know
- You relocate often and prefer a lighter appliance
Like standard and high efficiency machines, portable top loaders also have pros and cons.
- Ease of movement
- Compact and lightweight
- Can have the laundry capacity of full-size machines
- Less expensive than standard and high efficiency machines
- If not left stationary, they’ll need to be installed/uninstalled after every use.
- Few are ENERGY STAR rated so it’s not likely you’ll save on energy costs.
- You could incur costs associated with installing additional proper outlets.
We know this is a lot of information to take it and consider. Washing machines are considered major appliances for your home and with so many decisions to be made, where do you begin? Here is a short checklist to help you with your decision-making process:
- Loads what capacity do you need? Have a large family? Wash your bedding at home? Look into machines with 3.5 cubic feet or more if you need a machine that can handle large loads.
- Space how much space do you have for a washing machine? Make sure to take accurate measurements of your space and buy accordingly.
- Energy Star ratings look for these! Any way you can save time and money is a big bonus.
- Special features do you need a machine that will balance automatically an unbalanced load? Want a laundry or fabric softener dispenser? Are you interested in eco-saving options? Give careful consideration to features that are important to you.
- Replacement parts and repairs check to be sure replacement parts for any machine you are considering can be easily found and purchased. If you don’t plan to do repairs yourself then check into the cost of paying someone to do them for you.
- Warranty read warranty information carefully to be sure you’re getting good coverage.
- Brands are there specific brand names in which you’re interested? Make a list of those brands and do some comparison shopping.
After careful consideration, webd like to recommend the Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Best Top Loading Washing Machine. Overall, we feel this machine offers the best features and options at the best price. Durability isn’t a problem as these machines seem built to last for year.
This brand offers the latest technology along with reliability. It is the largest machine in our product guide and it offers the most control over how you choose to do your laundry. Regular detergent can be used, as well.
Let’s talk money. This machine operates on cost of only $18/year so it’s definitely a money-saver. With the amount of control it offers, you’re also looking at potential yearly savings in water usage, as well. This is an excellent Best Top Loading Washing Machine that is well worth the investment.
GoodHouseKeeping – http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/washer-reviews/a21964/washing-machine-buying-guide-2014/
ConsumerReports – http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/washing-machines/buying-guide.htm
ConsumerReports – http://www.consumerreports.org/top-load-he-washers/reasons-to-buy-high-efficiency-top-loading-machine-over-front-loader/
GoodHouseKeeping – http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/institute/a24026/types-of-washing-machines/
Sears – http://www.sears.com/articles/appliances/washers-dryers/top-load-vs-he-top-load-vs-front-load-washers.html
Houselogic – https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/bathroom-laundry/washing-machine-buyers-guide/
ApartmentGuide – http://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/portable-washing-machines-no-laundry-room-required/
Ahs – https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/cost-savers/pros-and-cons-of-compact-washer-and-dryers